Having sat on the Executive Board of the MSO for the past 10 years, I have participated in planning and implementing numerous exciting changes. There have been several major adjustments recently in our organization's leadership designed to properly position us as we approach the iconic year 2020. There are a few items I'd like to address and several announcements that I'm excited to share.
- At the end of 2018, the Executive Board voted to extend the MSO Presidency of Dr. Matthew Forgues into 2019 to insure continuity within our leadership as we advance the glaucoma legislation. At the appropriate time, I will transition into the MSO Presidency and Dr. David Metsch will then assume the role of President-Elect.
- It has come to our attention that some members are concerned that we are not communicating in the same manner we had in the past. That is in fact true!
- In order to update and modernize our modes of communication, we have discontinued the paper newsletter and replaced it with frequent email messages. (Constant Contact)
- If you do not feel that you are receiving our emails, please check your "spam" folder and ensure you place the MSO Constant Contact email carrier (masssocietyofoptometrists.ccsend.com) on your "friends" list.
- Please open each email; every communication contains vital information about the state of Optometry and the goings-on in MA. I also encourage you to periodically visit the MSO website for information updates.
The MSO is progressing to a "Convention" style CE format to expand social networking opportunities and increase the numbers of units available in a short period of time. This year is a transition year where we are holding three different types of CE events:
- Gillette Stadium New England Convention (April 27th & 28th) Foxborough, MA
Gillette Registration Link
- Destination CE on the Cape (May 28th - June 2nd) North Falmouth, MA
Cape Cod CE Information
- Truncated Season Ticket including the Wednesday morning series and one Sunday program in the Fall.
- Business and Leadership Training
- Networking and Mentoring opportunities
- Social events
6. Optometry Round Table Topics of Conversation.
- Telehealth - If we don't lead the way, who will step up to do it instead?
- Children's Vision - We know we do it. Does anyone else?
Stay tuned for more announcements about upcoming events and ways to become active in the MSO.
I am looking to recruit OD's that want to be more active shaping the future of their profession and careers. We are so fortunate to be able to care for the patients that we do, and with your help we'll be able to continue doing just that! Please feel free to contact me directly anytime!
Dr. Cari Cannon
President-Elect, Massachusetts Society of Optometry